Since 2011, the ERCIS together with the University of Liechtenstein, have been organizing the ERCIS Winter School on Advanced BPM Topics (BPMWS). During this one week seminar, open to students from ERCIS members institutions, ~20 undergraduate students from all over the world come together to learn about and discuss current and future Business Process Management (BPM) topics with some of the most renowned BPM researchers.
The 2024 edition will be on-site, taking place January 15 to January 19, 2024. Arrival should be January 14. If traveling should be restricted, the BPMWS will take place virtually (we do have some experience from 2021 and 2022...), but we do not expect that to happen.
The Universities of Liechtenstein, Sevilla, Utrecht, Erlangen-Nuremberg, Paderborn, and Dortmund have been successful in applying for ERASMUS+ funding, which will support students travelling to the BPMWS! Please get in touch with your respective IS professor, if you are in interested in participating! Students from other Universities will most probably not be able to participate this year!
Please be aware of the following information and conditions:
- The language spoken during the BPMWS is English.
- The BPMWS is an intermediate undergraduate BPM course: Participants should have a basic knowledge about BPM like, as an example, provided by the online BPM Fundamentals lecture of Jan Mendling.
- The BPMWS is not suitable for PhD students.
- The following is not relevant for students participating in the BIP:
- The BPMWS cannot be offered free of charge. The University of Liechtenstein will charge you about 300€ for the on-site organisation. This will include - aside from the tuition - lunch, joint social activities such as dinner together and water/coffee during lectures.
- We expect ~150€-250€ for accommodation in, e.g., Feldkirch for the five days. Travel and accommodation are self-organised and not included in the fee above! Please see below for some hints.
- The virtual + on-site part of the Winter School will be awarded with 3 ECTS.
- Partner institutions may offer this seminar as part of their curriculum, by, e.g., preparing the students with the Fundamentals of BPM MOOC of Jan Mendling, writing an exam, and/or accompany the winter school with a seminar thesis, which might boost the ECTS number:
- The University of Paderborn, e.g., provides 3 ECTS for the Winter School plus a thesis,
- the University of Münster, in combination with the MOOC, an exam, and a seminar thesis 9 ECTS,
- TU Dortmund University, in combination with a report paper and and oral exam 4 ECTS.
- It is the responsibility of the participants to clarify if and how the Winter School will be recognized by their home institution.
- For non-BIP participants, registration will open end of August, 2023, and close end of November, 2023.
- For BIP participants: Please check with your professor.
- We will use mattermost to get you networked before-hand.
Content (as of 2023, 2024 will change slightly)
The following topics will be covered by the following speakers (subject to slight changes):
|Process Science||Prof. Dr. Jan vom Brocke, University of Liechtenstein|
Prof. Dr. Daniel Beverungen, University of Paderborn
|Process Mining||Prof. Dr. Martin Matzner, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg|
|Process Performance||Prof. Dr. Adela del Rio-Ortega, Prof. Dr. Manuel Resinas, University of Seville|
|Managing Dynamics of Business Processes||Dr. Thomas Grisold, University of Liechtenstein|
|Business Process Management at the Hilti AG||Dr. Susanne Buddendick|
|Business Rules and Intelligent Delegation||Prof. Dr. Christian Janiesch, TU Dortmund|
With this, we provide a pillar for any advanced BPM course, which can flexibly be integrated into any undergraduate curriculum, that offers electives.
Location and Accommodation
The BPMWS will take place at the University of Liechtenstein.
We also recommend sharing rooms to cut costs. Consider using mattermost.ercis.org (once available) for finding partners sharing rooms.